If you’re for a way to breathe new life into a room of your house, like say the bathroom or a sitting room, mosaic tiles can be the answer you’re looking for in flooring. Mosaic tiles are usually used popularly as kitchen tiles, bathroom tiles and pool tiles. They’re also a popular choice if you’re looking to add a bit of artistic flair. If you’re really looking for a special touch, you can use tiles to create things like mermaid mosaics and mosaic turtles.
However you choose to use them, to make mermaid mosaics or to redo your bathroom or kitchen floors, mosaic tiles are made entirely of recycled glass and can make a space feel elegant and lavish. The fact is there are many benefits of using tiles including:
- A good look: Glass mosaic tiles are very eye catching because of glass’ visual properties. With that in mind, you can pick them up in almost any color from home improvement stores. Not only can you buy them in a wide spectrum of colors, but you can also get specialty tiles, like shimmer tiles or mirror tiles.
- They’re easily maintained: Mosaic tiles aren’t just colorful, they’re fairly easy to maintain once they’ve been installed. These tiles are non-porous, which makes them resistant to chemical damage, mold and staining among other types of damage. Mosaic tiles also have high retention quality, which means they’re going to retain their look and brightness for long periods of time. There isn’t much maintenance required either beyond wiping them down.
- They’re eco-friendly: If you’re looking for ways to make your home more eco-friendly, mosaic tiles are a good choice because they don’t take much energy to install. There are many types of eco-friendly tiles available to buy as well.
- Flexibility: If you’re got some artistic skill and you’re interested in making things like mermaid mosaics, these tiles offer you plenty of flexibility and creativity. Tiles can be used as borders or frames or just about anything else you could think of. With some many colors and styles, the sky is the limit with mosaic tiles.
As with anything, there are a few cons to installing mosaic tiles, including:
- Breakage: While mosaic tiles are generally durable, they’re not immune to damage as is true of most kinds of material. Dropping something heavy onto tiles can cause cracks and chips and it’s not at all easy to repair.
- Cost: There’s no doubt that mermaid mosaics and extravagant mosaic tile designs in a kitchen or bathroom look incredible in a home. But there is some upfront cost involved. Some tiles can be found for as cheap as $10, but realistically one would expect to pay $30-40 per square foot for some of the more popular colors. If your idea is to create a repeating pattern with two of the more popular colors, it could be a sizable bill.
- Scratching: It’s true that tile hold up strong against mold and chemical damage, but it can very prone to scratching. Added up over time, it may require the replacement of only a few tiles or of several tiles in the long run.
- Difficulty of installation: Mosaic tiles look great wherever they’re installed, but they can be a pain to install, especially when compared to other types of flooring. If you’re got your mind set on tile, it may be best to contact a professional to install it. It may cost a little bit more when added up with the cost of the tile, but it will worth it and a lot less stressful.
Whether you want to design something artsy or put a little shine on your bathroom flooring or kitchen flooring, mosaic tiles offer plenty of advantages however they are used. It’s true they may cost a little more in buy and install, but their long life (with careful maintenance) and resistance to many types of damage will breathe new life into whatever room they are put in.