March 3, 2024

Culture Forum

Free Internet News

What Paving Contractors Want You to Know About Asphalt

Spread the love

Asphalt, a crucial material in road construction, is predominantly composed of approximately 95 percent aggregates, including stone, sand, and reclaimed products, while the remaining 5 percent constitutes a liquid asphalt binder, derived from crude oil byproducts. This binder plays a pivotal role as a cohesive agent, effectively binding the aggregates together to form diverse types of road surfaces. The size of the aggregates is manipulated based on specific roadway requirements; a mix with larger stones and fewer fines results in a stiffer pavement, while increased fines provide greater flexibility.

The video’s initial segment underscores the importance of the binder, functioning as a glue to create smooth and safe roadways for various purposes. Additionally, it introduces the sustainable aspect of asphalt production, incorporating reclaimed asphalt pavement and recycled asphalt roofing shingles into the mix.


Video Source

The binder is engineered to be a robust yet elastic adhesive, and further enhancements are achieved through the incorporation of additives such as polymers. These additives modify the binder’s properties in response to changing roadway conditions, contributing to the overall durability and adaptability of asphalt as a road construction material. The section provides a comprehensive understanding of the composition and versatility of asphalt, highlighting its critical role in creating resilient and purpose-specific road surfaces and the importance of the work paving contractors complete.